What is helm
- It is a tool which helps us to install and manage apps on Kubernates.
- It packages all the necessary files and instructions for running app into a package called chart.
- Helms helps us in installing, updating and removing apps on Kubernates cluster using simple commands.
Top 5 reason for using helm
- Easy application deployment.
- Easy versioning and reproducible installations.
- Helps in scaling the application on Kubernaes cluster
- Templating for customization.
- Easy to share
How helm works
- Packaging - Devs create a chart that contains necessary files and configurations.
- Chart repository - charts can be stored in central repo.
- Templating Customization
- Release Management - Helm keeps track of installed applications as "Release".
- Collabaration - devs can share their charts
What is chart and what it contains
Chart - It is package used by helm, the package manager for kubernaes to deploy and manage applications on a kubernates cluster.
What it contains -
- Chart dependencies
- Additional files.