Helm is package manager(like apt, yum) for kubernetes used for installation of chart.
- to help install multiple yaml files which is otherwise to be done manually with k8s
- Helm keeps track of the versioned history of every chart installation and change.
- Rolling back to a previous version or upgrading to a newer version is completed with comprehensible commands.
- There are a plethora of existing charts available in the official Helm chart repository and various community-maintained repositories.
- Helm provides a higher level of abstraction and streamlines the deployment and management of applications on Kubernetes, making it a valuable tool for teams and individuals working with containerized applications
Helm is like a client/server application. The Helm client pushes resources to the Kubernetes cluster.
chart is nothing but a folder structure with some defined yaml files.
- Chart (Name)
- charts (contains different dependent charts)
- templates (contains dependent yaml files) charts.yaml (Metadata for chart) values.yaml (holds variable = values)